Friday 20 January 2012

a new year.

I am hopeless when it comes to making new years resolutions. So hopeless that today is the 20th January, and i've only just got around to thinking about it.

I think that part of the reason why my lack of will power wins out, is that i have struggled in the past with whether or not i should make resolutions at all. Is it right? Is it biblical? Is it even possible? Am i just setting myself up for failure?
All too often my past resolutions have been shallow. I have vowed to lose weight, to change my appearance or to become more popular. These things are not bad in themselves, but i know that my resolutions have reflected an unhelpful attitude. They have said that i want to be different because i am not good enough as i am, or people will like me more/think i'm prettier if i become a certain way.
These motivations are not helpful, nor do they reflect Jesus.
I am fearfully and wonderfully made. 
My thoughts about myself and the goals i set should reflect this. 

So with that in mind, this year i want to set myself 7 goals* that i hope will help me to either grow in my relationship with God or to grow into the potential and opportunities that he has planned out for me.

(*note: the change of word - my attempt at fooling myself into carrying these goals through. If they aren't resolutions, they can't be broken right?)

1. Complete a freedom in Christ course. (i confess that i've already been to session one..)
2. Graduate this coming summer... with my sanity still intact.
3. Open my very first folksy shop. (and make time to actually create!)
4. Go on a holiday, just the two of us. Get in some real quality relaxation time, away from real life.
5. Dedicate time to prayer - push it way up the list of my priorities. To be prayerful in my actions.
6. To be more intentional. Whether thats with my work, with Steve, in my friendships or in my walk with God.  Basically to be more intentional with how i spend my time. 
7. Finally clear out the loft and turn it into the study/craft room. I know, i know how does this help me grow? But believe me, that room is the key to joy. Okay a slight exaggeration, but it will help me achieve goals 2&3.. so its valid!

There we have it. Maybe i should start this new-and-improved prayer life by praying i actually go through with it.

Yours,

No comments:

Post a Comment